104 Norwood Avenue, Elberon Park, NJ
Building Constructed Approximately 1868
Building Marked by Township of Ocean Historical Society 2002
Built in 1868 by James H. McVickar, Shakesperian actor and theatre owner, this victorian "cottage" originally named "Meerschaum Villa" was typical of architecture of its day. McVicar's son-in-law was Shakesperian actor Edwin Booth (1833-1893), brother of John Wilkes Booth, who's home was around the corner on Park Avenue. This home was sold in 1875 to actresss Maggie Mitchell (1832-1918), who renamed the property "Cricket Lodge" after her most famous role, Fanchon the Cricket. The property still stands, but has been changed significantly.